info

Wednesday 20 June 2018

Poetry and Mental Health

                                            http://austinpublishinggroup.com/austin-psychiatry/



Poetry like otherforms of literature or art can enrich our lives. It can be used to find new meaning in our daily lives. The Australian poet Les Murray described poetry as “a zoo in which you keep your demons and angels” and Mich Imlan, the poetry editor of the Times Literary Supplement, said it is “ a way of talking about things that frighten you. Poetry is not an antidepressant or antipsychotic or anxiolytic medication or cognitive behavioural therapy, but it can play a role in the therapeutic journey of a patient.

My interest in poetry is only recent. I learnt through poetry one can re-imagine the things we usually experience on daily basis. I found poetry to be an excellent medium to express our feelings and can feel cathartic. With poetry, one starts to see and interpret things differently. Through poetry, our use of five senses heightens when we read words that have an emotive content. Eventually, I started writing poems which I have continued to do since.

I found writing poetry a solacing, stimulating and creative exercise. It gave me a medium to express my views and emotions in a way that is nonjudgmental. I have been able to express my views, beliefs and emotions that would not have been possible through ordinary conversations. It has helped me to make sense of my thoughts, feelings, emotions, values and gave a new meaning to my life. Through poetry, one can express both personal and universal truths. Writing poems has slowly given me a sense of accomplishment as well, as I have been able to share my poetry with others. I was eventually able to publish the first collection of my poems. “Gushing Fountain: A Collection of Poems”. Most importantly I was able to write about things that would have been otherwise impossible. Australian poet Peter Porter suggests. Writing a poem is crucially about making something”. Word poetry is derived from the Greek verb Poiesis, which means to make. That very approach gives a sense of accomplishment after writing a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Evaluation of the Role of fMRI in Patients with Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction

                                                 https://www.austinpublishinggroup.com/urology/ Patientswith Lower Urinary Tr...